Sales Data Tutorial
In this tutorial you will get the opportunity to gain a better understanding of the system reporting capabilities. We start out with importing a sample sales database, and then proceed to generate a chart and a summarized data table. It is recommended that you obtain Super User permissions before continuing with the tutorial.
Part 1 - Sales Data Import
1. First, lets create a new document collection that will be used to store sample sales data. Log-in and then from the menu on the left go to:
System Functions -> Data Administration -> Create Document Collection task. Name the new collection "Sales Data" and press submit.
2. Download and save to your computer a sample database with sales data records from the following location: sales_data.csv.
3. Proceed with importing the sample data. Run the following task from the menu:
System Functions -> Data Administration -> Import Data. First select "Sales Data" collection from the dropdown and then select "sales_data.csv" file from your drive.
Part 2 - Data Charting
Once the document import completes, you will be ready to view a pre-configured chart that will display total amounts and quantities by sales order. Additionally, you will be able to execute a task that was used to build the chart, allowing you to view and modify chart configuration options.
4. In the user menu find and execute
System Demos -> Sales Data - Charting Demo task. You should see a bar chart with sales orders on the X axis and quantity and average price per order on the Y axis.
5. Now lets edit the chart. Proceed to run the following task:
System Functions -> Report Administration -> Report and Chart Editor. Select "Sales Data - Charting Demo" from the dropdown and click "Continue" button.
6. Lets change the chart type. Towards the bottom of the page change the "Chart type" setting from "bar" to "line" and click "Save" button.
7. Rerun the chart report by going to the following link from the main menu:
System Demos -> Sales Data - Charting Demo. You will notice that the report is now displaying a line chart.
Part 3 - Data Aggregation
Sales database can also be useful in demonstrating a different type of report. In the next step we will run a report that will produce a table displaying summarized results across multiple documents in the collection.
8. Click the following task from the user menu:
System Demos -> Sales Data - Aggregation Demo. You should see a table of results.
9. You can proceed to edit the report table just as you edited the chart in step 5 above. To do so run the following step from the menu:
System Functions -> Report Administration -> Report and Chart Editor.
Back to Main